Friday, April 27, 2012

Book Review: Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

So, I think I have become a Margaret Atwood fan - I loved this book. 

The story is somewhat basic and most of the book is Grace going back and telling her life story...which sounds quite simple, almost dull.  But it is not.  I love the way she wrote this book - I found it very compelling and intriguing and I wanted to learn all about Grace and know everything that had happened to her.  I don't want to give too much away about the plot because I want you to read the book for yourself, but the end is quite captivating (I had to stay up late one night to finish it because I couldn't put it down). 

This book is set in the 1800s and there is a medical theme in the book that I really found interesting.  Specifically, how medicine and illnesses were viewed back then compared with what we know now. 

I have heard that Sarah Polley is going to be making this book into a movie and I sincerely hope so (although books are always better) and can't wait to see it.

As I said above, I think I am an Atwood fan now and want to read more of her.  Does anyone have a particular book to suggest?

No comments:

Post a Comment